Thursday, July 08, 2010

CSA Meals - Week 7

Summer days are just flying by, so I'm pleasantly surprised that we used practically all of our veggies last week, minus a few potatoes and a head of garlic.  

I sauteed the onion, zucchini, and squash, and mixed it with pasta, chopped tomato, feta, and pesto to complete the dish for a 4th of July party.  I've used similar combinations in past salads, but the fresh, farm grown produce certainly made this one superior.

The Splendid Table newsletter has really changed my cooking routine.  I look forward to the weekly recipe, and I've tried several of them.  Last week I made "Lynne's Pork Chops," which involved soaking the chops in a brine before pan-grilling them with onions.  Though the meat took longer to cook than the recipe said, it was worth the wait, because the pork was extremely tender and savory, and the onions melted down into a perfect topping.




We also ate tasty corn on the cob from the market, and sauteed carrots and cabbage with ginger, garlic and soy sauce.  The ginger gave the vegetables a warm, spicy flavor that was balanced by the sweet carrots and salty soy sauce.  I ate the leftover cabbage twice as a snack after having it for dinner, and was pleased both times.



Thursday night we had a few friends over for dinner.  We ate hummus with the pretty, orangey cherry tomatoes from our share before the meal.




In addition to grilled salmon and sausage, I made a simple potato salad with basil and green and white beans. We're not big on raw onion, so I omitted it, but I do think the dish could have used capers or something similar to pick up the flavor of the salad.




Stay tuned for next week to find out if I could bear to turn on the stove during a wave of 100+ degree days!

No comments: