Thursday, July 01, 2010

CSA Meals - Week 6

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right?  If that's true, 8 1/2 should feel extremely flattered.  We tried to imitate our favorite of their scrumptious heros not once but twice last week.  As soon as I found out that we had arugula, I couldn't wait to get some nice prosciutto and fresh mozzarella to accompany it. 

We purchased both, along with some small baguettes, from Whole Foods on Wednesday evening.  After washing and spinning the arugula, we tossed it with high quality olive oil (saved for special occasions), salt and pepper.  Davy sliced the mozzarella into thick, round pieces, and painstakingly placed the prosciutto onto the bottom of the bread.  The mozzarella went on next, and then the greens.  We gave the whole thing another drizzle of oil (it still wasn't as oily as the original) and sliced it into three pieces.  Yum!  I came home for lunch on Monday to make another one, because we had a second baguette and I couldn't stop thinking about it.  This version of the hero won't replace the real thing, but I think it will be an option if we have more arugula from the farm.



Davy and I were both out of town for the weekend, and we didn't get to cook with as much of our produce.  We ate raw beans with our hero, I had cucumber slices at the beach for a snack, used cucumber and arugula on a cheese sandwich, and ate more raw beans with leftovers for dinner one night.

On Sunday night I was able to put together a quick meal with sauteed swiss chard, onion, garlic and fennel.  I made pasta and combined everything with some herbed feta from lunch earlier in the week.




The whole dish had an earthy taste to it from the chard, and a little flair from the fennel.  I had enough of the veggies to take some as a snack the next day too.  We still have a couple potatoes, some garlic, and onion left from this week, but all in all it wasn't a bad week.  I think the cooks at 8 1/2 would agree.

No comments: