Tuesday, September 30, 2008

CSA Meals - Week 18

It's sinking in more and more that the CSA is ending soon, and I'm doing my best to savor the last few weeks.

On Tuesday night we had a simple meal of sherry cherry tomatoes and bread, the mixed greens sauteed with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, and Zamorano cheese from River City Cellars. The cheese was deliciously tangy, and the store described it as similar to Manchego with hints of cheddar, which I found to be accurate. It's amazing what you can put together with not many ingredients around.

Wednesday (and Thursday and Friday) I enjoyed one of the crisp apples in the morning and leftover tomato, greens, and white bean soup from last week. In the afternoon I ate a sliced sweet peppers with chickpea dip, also from last week.

We went back to the old frittata standby Thursday evening for lack of other ideas. I also didn't want to waste the farm eggs, and they were as tasty as ever with arugula, tomatoes and two cheeses - grated Zamorano and mozzarella.

Lentil soup from the freezer and more chickpea dip with peppers made for a nice makeshift dinner on Friday.

After an overnight camping trip from Saturday to Sunday, Davy and I pretended we were still functioning in the great outdoors for dinner. We made hot dogs and zucchini on the grill. I roasted the last of the week's tomatoes, and combined them with a little Romaine lettuce and shaved Zamorano for a warm fall salad.

I finally put some of the butternut squash to good use with pasta with green beans (pictured above). Ditalini noodles, or little tubes, were a good vehicle for the crunchy green beans, sweet roasted squash, and savory Parmesan cheese. The dish had a subtle kick from half of one of the hot peppers from a few weeks ago.

There are about five cups of diced squash set aside for a soup recipe I've been meaning to try for about a year. We'll see if I get around to it next week...

No comments: