Tuesday, September 09, 2008

CSA Meals - Week 15

As fall creeps in, I'm starting to worry that the abundance of produce from the CSA will give way to a much lower vegetable intake when it's over. I'm really going to have to make an effort to find fresh vegetables, which will probably mean more trips to Ellwood Thompson's. Luckily there are still a few weeks left to savor the offerings from the farm, and I managed to do pretty well this week.

On Tuesday I ate a poached egg over brown rice, and mixed in spinach sauteed with garlic, tomato, and basil. The nutty, sweet, and earthy flavors came together with the richness of the egg to make a hearty and simple meal.

I made a cucumber and tomato salad to enjoy Wednesday afternoon, and that night Davy and I grilled burgers, peppers and onions. Since we had eggplant around, I made another attempt at eggplant fries. They were tasty but still not crispy enough to really be a substitute for french fries.

Cucumber and tomato salad made its second appearance Thursday afternoon, as did the grilled peppers and onions for dinner. Some of them were spicy, so they were a great addition to our chicken tacos.

Saturday morning I ate a fried egg with some of the brown rice from Tuesday night. Davy and I ate delicious leftovers from Tarrant's (pizza and a chicken caesar wrap) with steamed green beans on Saturday evening.

After we ran a 5k race on Sunday morning, we made bagel sandwiches with eggs and cheese. I made use of the eggplant fries that had been sitting in the fridge from earlier in the week by mixing them into a baked pasta dish with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. The homemade pesto I made that afternoon with basil from the share emphasized all of the other Italian flavors in the pasta. For nutritional purposes, we also had a salad with romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and sunflower seeds. The baked pasta and salad hit the spot Sunday night, as well as Monday and Tuesday for lunch.

Since we experienced both rain and heat this past week, I'm wondering how our produce package will be affected by the weather. Check back soon to find out!

No comments: