Thursday, August 28, 2008

CSA Meals - Week 13

Believe it or not, I'm finally done with cucumber and tomato salad after this week. Somehow I just hit my limit, and while it was an appropriate side dish for the homemade ceviche we had for dinner on Wednesday night, I am not going to make it again until next summer.

The cucumber and tomato salad still tasted good Thursday when I had it as an afternoon snack, but finishing it was a huge relief. That night we grilled strip steaks from Belmont Butchery, which were fantastic as usual, and decent corn on the cob. I was planning on putting the fresh shitakes I bought at the market in a lasagna, but I realized that mushrooms that impressive looking should be given more of a chance. Tossed in a little olive oil, salt and pepper, the shitakes were mellow and earthy off the grill. They were delicious with grilled, sliced peppers and onions.

Unlike my Thursday snack, I couldn't wait for Friday afternoon to eat the leftover grilled vegetables. They were just as crispy and flavorful the second day.

The small eggplants, zucchini and squash were roasted with olive oil and sliced to constitute one of the layers in my Friday night lasagna. Ricotta, pesto, and a thick turkey sausage tomato sauce were some of the other components, and we have eaten it two or three times since Friday, with more meals remaining.

Surprisingly, the only eggs we've used in the past week were for brunch on Saturday, and there are four left. Breakfast for dinner may be a welcome change of pace from lasagna.

No comments: