Thursday, October 07, 2010

CSA Meals Week 17

I'm still trying to like eggplant.  I've had it in things that are delicious, like the Pizza Grille's Grilled Eggplant Rolls and Mama Zu's eggplant parm, but I haven't really liked it in anything I've made. 


A month or so ago I participated in a cooking lesson for my friend's bachelorette party, and one of the dishes we made was ratatouille.  Normally I don't knock myself out trying to eat ratatouille, but I wanted to try everything and it was pretty tasty.  Unfortunately, when I tried to recreate it with the same recipe, it looked better to me than it tasted.  It was still a decent dish, with a subtle wine flavor and a little bite of parmesan cheese, but I avoided and picked out the diced eggplant when I ate it for lunch.












The addition of braised pork definitely improved the vegetable stew, and both seemed to last forever.


Our last green beans of the year were eaten roasted, and still tasted fresh enough to brighten dinner on a cool night.






We ate the pork as nachos and also tacos with chopped Tokyo Bekana.  The greens had a quiet enough flavor to blend with other components, and also had enough of a taste to stand alone in a saute.  













If I didn't know any better, I'd think that the eggplant in our produce drawer were regenerating.  There are three more currently sitting in the fridge, and I'm going to try to warm up to them with a different preparation.  One that (hopefully) doesn't involve me picking anything out of my bowl.

1 comment:

shalentz said...

Look at that pork! I need more details so I can get mine to look like that!