Monday, July 27, 2009

CSA Week 9

Somehow the wonderful peach pie I made a couple weeks ago has gone unmentioned. It caught my eye on Smitten Kitchen's blog because it includes creme fraiche, and I happened to have a crust in the freezer, so it seemed like an appropriate time to make my first peach pie. The local peaches had just the right amount of tartness to balance the sweet streusel and the richness from the creme fraiche. There are still a couple slices of the pie left in the fridge, only because there was no chocolate involved.

Otherwise, Week 9 wasn't too unusual. I mixed tuna salad with white beans and cucumber and tomato salad for lunch a few times. Davy and I had a few friends over and grilled our squash, zucchini, peppers, and onions along with sausage. The vegetables on the grill, tossed only with olive oil, salt, and pepper, never disappoint.

On Sunday we experimented with a recipe I found in March for breaded zucchini filled with mozzarella cheese. I knew that we'd appreciate it the most when zucchini was in season and we'd had it enough on the grill to almost tire of it. We ate it with homemade meat sauce that I refreshed with some ripe tomatoes, and it turned out beautifully: the mozzarella and breading browned on the top, and the zucchini was cooked but not soggy. There was also enough basil and garlic to make a double batch of pesto, and that played a role in our meal as well.

I marinated chicken breasts with olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, chilis, coriander seed, and cumin seed on Monday for dinner. The yellow and green beans, though almost a week old, were still crisp and fresh when we steamed them. Some potatoes held over from a previous share week were delicious roasted with olive oil and rosemary to complete the meal. Actually, the meal wasn't complete until I indulged in some peach pie.

No comments: