Thursday, August 02, 2007

Reading and Complaining


I am almost finished with Barbara Kingsolver's new book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, in which she documents her family's experiences with growing most of the food they ate for a year. It is packed with information about local farming and scary facts about the present and future state of the human race. However, there are also recipes, courtesy of her college-aged daughter, and vivid descriptions of fresh produce and the meals made with it. I'd be lying if I said the book inspired me to start producing my own food (raising chickens and turkeys doesn't sound easy) but I have learned a ton and am much more conscious about my groceries.

Speaking of groceries, a few weeks ago I purchased a half gallon of delicious Breyer's ice cream. Eagerly I took it home, waiting patiently to open it until after dinner. Much to my dismay, the carton was only filled about three quarters of the way to the top! I've been eating Breyer's for many years, and while I have seen containers not completely stuffed to the brim, this was quite drastic. I took a picture, meaning to write a disappointed letter, but I have been incredibly lazy about my camera so I decided just to submit a complaint online. So far I've gotten an auto-email saying that usually these types of comments are answered with a letter and "replacement coupon." I've heard some encouraging stories about free stuff, so I was hoping for a lifetime supply of Breyer's, but I guess that will do. Stay tuned...

No comments: