Monday, April 16, 2012

Portland

I'm totally ashamed that my Portland post never happened, but now that it's six months (or more) after our trip, I want to at least show off some pictures.

We made the requisite visit to Voodoo Doughnut to indulge in three varieties: the Old Dirty Bastard (chocolate peanut butter with oreo), Maple Bacon Bar, and a commemorative doughnut for Steve Jobs, who passed away the day before.


My cocktail at Whiskey Soda Lounge, which was a special that night and made with one of their infused vinegars. It was spicy and limey - definitely unique!

Whiskey Soda Lounge is under the same brilliant ownership as Pok Pok, and is strategically located across the street so that customers can have a drink or snack while they wait to get into the busy Southeast Asian restaurant. The famous Fish Sauce wings are on the menu at Whiskey Soda Lounge, and they're worth trying there, or at Pok Pok, or both.



We sampled two little cupcakes and a "bonbonbunbun" from Saint Cupcake, which are, according to the bakery's description, "sweet little pillows of buttery brioche dough hand-tossed in a secret mixture of sugar and spice deliciousness." I think that covers it.


Our final meal, and my birthday dinner, was at Meriweather's, a swanky farm to table restaurant with beautifully presented food. Don't let the dark photo mislead you; everything we ate there was fresh and appealing. Davy and I shared a small pantry board, and I had Dungeness Crab Risotto for my entree. My dessert, shown below, was the Dark Chocolate Coffee Torte with honey lavender gelato. It was smooth, rich, and memorable.


There are no pictures documenting our brunch at Tasty N Sons, but it was just as wonderful as our other culinary adventures. The chocolate potato donuts are not to be missed, and I hope that Richmond restaurants will catch onto the idea of small plates for brunch soon.

I feel so lucky that I was able experience a new city so thoroughly, and am still dreaming about the food we ate in Portland, even six months later.

No comments: