Monday, January 16, 2012

Weak Brunch at Stronghill

Brunch "appetizers" are one of my very favorite things to order at a restaurant.  They're usually ready quickly, and can stave off a worsening hangover or just rescue you from overeating and feeling sick afterwards.  They can also solve the sweet/savory debate I tend to go through every time I'm getting ready to order brunch.  


When I read that Stronghill has Monkey Bread on the menu, I couldn't wait to try it.  I'd experienced Monkey Bread as a brunch starter a few years ago, on a cold Saturday in Philadephia, and have been seeking it out ever since.  I was so intent on having it that I dragged Davy and a few friends with me to the restaurant on Sunday afternoon.  


Stronghill has high ceilings, an impressive chandelier, and a welcoming atmosphere.  Unfortunately, most of its positive attributes end there.  Our server was unevenly attentive.  She took awhile to take our order, didn't mention the specials and forgot a few minor things.  She refilled coffee regularly, but didn't provide a spoon with my tea, and didn't check our water.  The water for my tea wasn't very hot, even though it arrived in a cute pot settled into the mug underneath.


The Monkey Bread was a disappointment.  It wasn't very warm, and while it did have a healthy amount of cinnamon flavor, the texture was on the crumbly side; the balls of dough really would have benefited from a glaze. 


My main dish was an omelet with goat cheese, onions, and peppers.  I took a peek inside and couldn't detect any vegetation aside from a sprinkling of minced, sauteed onions.  There was plenty of goat cheese, and as much as I love cheese, the omelet needed more of a balance between its vegetables and dairy.  


Unfortunately I won't be returning to Stronghill for brunch anytime soon, and while I'll have to eat at venues without Monkey Bread, I'd rather just make it myself and get it exactly right.



No comments: