Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Counter Top Dining

On Oscar Sunday, I found myself with a defrosted pork shoulder and the time to appropriately prepare it.  I decided to apply the Southwestern Pulled Brisket method, and let everything bake in the oven for a few hours.  









I would definitely use this recipe again for either pork or brisket.  The flavors are versatile enough for sandwiches, tacos, or any other creative variations you may conjure.  Our first two rounds with the pork involved sandwiches made with Cheddar-Sriracha Swirl Bread.









I've made sweet quick breads before, such as zucchini, banana, pumpkin, etc., but this was my first savory loaf, and I felt a sense of accomplishment when it turned out well.  The bread is relatively easy to make as long as you allow yourself some time, and could also be changed to accommodate a number of different ingredients for the "swirl," or filling.   

Our sandwiches had a significant kick from the Sriracha, but we happily ate them with steamed broccoli.  It may not have been an Oscar-worthy meal, but it did feel special to eat standing up in the kitchen while listening to Road Kill Roy's radio debut.



No comments: