Wednesday, August 04, 2010

CSA Meals - Weeks 11 and 12

I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow and most of the produce from Week 12 has already been used, so I'm combining this week and last week in my post.

Last Tuesday evening we grilled burgers, corn, and summer squash.  It was a fun, seasonal dinner, although the corn from Victory Farms wasn't wonderful.  When I cut it off the cob for a salad on Thursday, however, it fared much better.  We ate it at a friend's house with arugula, cherry tomatoes, feta, and a red wine vinegar and shallot dressing.  The sweet tomatoes, peppery arugula, salty cheese, and the soft crunch of grilled corn kernels is now one of my favorite salad combinations, and I happily ate the remainders for lunch on Friday.





My parents were in town for the weekend, and I took the opportunity to use up some veggies in a frittata.  We chopped and sauteed zucchini, onion, and tomato before adding eggs to the pan and sliding the whole thing into the oven to broil for a few minutes.  Even though we ate it with cinnamon oatmeal biscuits, it still felt like a healthy breakfast. 

The crisp, sweet peppers were all sliced and eaten with hummus for various days' snacks.

When my parents left on Sunday, they'd generously donated several bright red, homegrown tomatoes to our produce bowl on the counter.  We got two heirlooms in the share on Tuesday, so I seized the opportunity to make scalloped tomatoes.  The recipe was adapted by Deb on smittenkitchen.com, and the original was written by Ina Garten.  I can't say enough about this dish.  It's savory and sweet at the same time, with an almost tangy bite from the caramelized tomatoes and a spicy zest from fresh basil.  We made a meal of it with feta-stuffed zucchini bites





and ate the leftovers on Wednesday on crisp slices of bread.  It's definitely worth making if you have extra, nearly overripe tomatoes around, or even if you just want to make something impressive and tasty that doesn't require a lot of work.

 


As I mentioned in my previous post, there will be a two week CSA hiatus because of the heat and my vacation.  I'm still going to try to post about what I'm making and eating at restaurants, and hopefully I'll make it to some farmers markets too.   Happy August!

No comments: