Thursday, October 08, 2009

Back to the Grind

Fall is definitely in the air, and the change of seasons has brought to light some notable events. Tuesday was the last CSA pick up, and it was a plentiful one:

- broccoli rabe

- radishes

- swiss chard

- sweet peppers

- sweet potatoes

- cilantro

- basil

- carrots

I decided not to get beets, and there was a bin of arugula that was optional and I completely forgot about it until I left. Fertile Crescent will have a stand at the South of the James Market for the rest of the month in case I need a fix.

News about Gourmet folding was released on Monday. Even though I had a feeling it was coming, it's sad to see more and more print publications dying out. Gourmet was also the first food magazine I ever subscribed to, and I love Ruth Reichl's writing.

Davy and I officially crossed a Thai restaurant off of our list of options last night. We wanted a quick meal at Mom's Siam, and were unfortunately both disappointed with the pad see ew. Maybe it's because we've been getting it from Ginger for too long, but it didn't have much flavor and neither of us felt great after dinner.

The wedding went off just as it was supposed to, and the food was amazing. The first course was roasted red pepper risotto with shrimp, and the main course was grilled beef tenderloin with frizzled onions over greens with a horseradish dressing. I had known the cake I wanted at my wedding since I first tried it while working for Olga, and her Italian Rum Cake didn't disappoint. We had plenty of leftovers, which was lucky considering I only had the bite that Davy shoved into my face during the cake cutting. There are a few pictures below, courtesy of the lovely Shannon Lentz, and I should be able to post regularly again now that the wedding is over. Enjoy!






No comments: