Wednesday, July 23, 2008

CSA Meals - Week 8

Most of the weeks that we've gotten our CSA package have conformed to two patterns, one in which we are in town through the weekend. The other involves a weekend trip of some sort, usually beginning on Thursday or Friday, and cutting out several days of potential produce consumption.

Week 8 fell into the second category, so I tried to get as much eaten before we left on Friday morning. On Tuesday we had grilled squash and zucchini, marinated venison steaks, and tomato and mozzarella salad with basil
and olive oil.

I made the standard cucumber and tomato salad with balsamic vinegar and basil as a snack for Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. The tomatoes are wonderful right now, and the farm does a nice job giving us some that aren't as ripe so that they last throughout the week.


Sunday we had steamed green beans with lemon juice and sesame seeds to accompany delicious sandwiches from Ellwood Thompson's. I had a turkey, cucumber, spinach and hummus wrap and it was tasty as always - I don't know what it is about their turkey, but it surprises me every time because it's so good.


Monday morning Davy and I shared the watermelon, which was sweet and had a familiar flavor despite its orange color. Once again I ate cucumber and tomato salad as an afternoon snack, and for dinner we made stuffed eggplant and zucchini, slightly modifying this stuffed eggplant recipe from the Food Network. For a side dish, we sauteed the red noodle beans (cut into two inch pieces) with butter, olive oil, garlic, and Thai chili peppers. I was much happier with the way the beans turned out with this preparation; they were crunchier and more appealing overall.

Everything was still fresh tasting and far better than grocery store produce, and the only items left were potatoes and a small portion of green beans. I'm going to use them at some point during Week 9 and teach myself how to freeze beans so they'll be available in the winter.

No comments: