Thursday, May 15, 2008

Breakfast at the Beach


It's hard to feel comfortable staying in someone else's home, especially when your hosts aren't friends or family. In my opinion, that slight weirdness is the only drawback to staying at a bed & breakfast, though it is possible to overcome.

The innkeepers at Savannah Beach Inn in Tybee Island, GA made every effort to make guests feel welcome and at home. Their southern hospitality exceeded any expectations I've ever had about bed & breakfasts. A fridge full of (complimentary) sodas and water bottles was available for everyone to take advantage of. Around three in the afternoon there was a "wine and cheese hour," which included red, white and rose wine, crackers, snack mix, and various cheeses.

I'm guessing that the wine stayed out for the duration of the afternoon, because it was still there before we went to dinner and remained on the bar in the kitchen when the nighttime innkeeper set out several plates of freshly baked cookies. Warm M&M oatmeal cookies will always make me feel more comfortable, no matter where I am.

The highlight of the stay at Savannah Beach Inn was, of course, the breakfast. We had a choice of strawberry pancakes or eggs benedict with either crabcakes or country ham. A fresh fruit salad with creme di cassis (black currant liqueur), juice, coffee and tea were available to everyone, although the pancakes were so filling that I'm surprised I was able to consume anything else. Strawberry syrup, made right in front of me, along with fresh strawberries garnished my meal. The crabcake eggs benedict was equally as indulgent.

By check out, I was completely acclimated to the bed and breafkast, and would have gladly pretended to live there for the rest of the weekend.

No comments: