Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Follow that Blog

I love my cookbooks, but lately many of the dinners and baked goods I make at home are inspired by or derived from recipes I find on blogs.  Below is a sampling of some recent successes.  I should have been better about taking pictures, but sometimes I just forget, so there aren't many to share.




Ginger Muffins from Orangette: These muffins are slightly sweet but with a spicy bite from the ginger root.  Next time I'm going to follow Molly's advice and add more than the recipe calls for.  There's a gentle citrusy undertone from the lemon zest that makes these taste very fresh and light.


BBQ Chicken Tenders from How Sweet It Is: I recently discovered Jessica's hilarious blog, and she has a ton of great ideas.  She makes several variations of chicken fingers, and I used this recipe one night last week.  It's a simple method that can be modified in many different ways, and I'm definitely going to fall back on it when I need a quick dinner.


Cookies and Cream Brownies from How Sweet It Is: Originally I found this blog because of the Cookie Dough Dip (which I still haven't made), but I felt the need to try these cookie bar brownies immediately when I saw the post.  I made the original as well as a batch with thin mints instead of oreos, and leftover chocolate whiskey ganache instead of the peanut butter mixture.  Both were divine, and very popular at a party.


Pressed Sandwiches from Crepes of Wrath: I never would have thought to do this myself, but making one big sandwich and then cutting it into pieces to serve to a group is a brilliant idea.  I was really excited to make these because it gave me an excuse to go to the butcher for prosciutto and mortadella.  Bonus: I was able to use up the remaining homemade pesto I froze last summer.


Irish Car Bomb Cake inspired by the Chocolate Whiskey and Beer Cupcakes from Smitten Kitchen: I've been trying to find a way to make this recipe again since I made the lucky cupcakes last year.  It wasn't a pretty cake, but it was so good that no one really noticed.  The Bailey's buttercream frosting is to die for.





No comments: